Miss Universe 2022: The long-awaited 71st edition of the Miss Universe pageant culminated with Miss USA R’Bonney Gabriel winning the coveted Miss Universe crown. Read on to find out who R’Bonney Gabriel is.
Miss Universe 2022: The 71st Miss Universe pageant has been postponed to avoid a clash with the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Both competitions are watched by millions of viewers worldwide.
The annual Miss Universe 2022 pageant was finally held on January 14, 2023.
Miss Universe 2022 was crowned by American R’Bonney Gabriel, first and second place went to Amanda Dudamel from Venezuela and Andreína Martínez from the Dominican Republic.
The official 71st Miss Universe pageant was held in New Orleans, Louisiana with America’s own R’Bonney Gabriel bringing back the Miss Universe crown after ten years.
Read on to find out who R’Bonney Gabriel is, her childhood, education, aspirations and more.
Who is R’Bonney Gabriel: Childhood and Education
- R’Bonney Gabriel is an American model who was crowned Miss USA 2022 earlier this year. Her full name is R’Bonney Nola Gabriel and she is of Filipino descent from her father’s side.
- R’Bonney’s father Remigio Bonzon “R. Bon” Gabriel immigrated to the United States from Manila, Philippines at the age of 25. R’Bonney told ABC News in 2022 that her father only had a college scholarship and $20 in his pocket when he came to America.
- R’Bonney was born on March 20, 1994 in Houston, Texas. She is 28 years old and has three older brothers. Her mother, Dana Walker, is an American from Texas.
- R’Bonney graduated from the University of North Texas with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts (majoring in fashion design). She wants to transform the fashion industry and focus on eco-friendly clothing to reduce pollution. She often creates her own clothes and won the Miss Texas USA pageant in a dress made from a used coat.
R’Bonney Gabriel: Facts and Hobbies
- R’Bonney Gabriel is the first Filipina-American winner in Miss Universe history. Filipinas Catriona Gray (2018), Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach (2015), Margie Moran (1973) and Gloria Diaz (1969) have previously won the competition.
- R’Bonney, 28, is the oldest Miss Universe winner. American Brook Lee previously won the crown at the age of 26 in 1997.
- R’Bonney is also the first Miss USA of Filipino descent.
- R’Bonney is the ninth American in history and the first since Olivia Culpo (Miss Universe 2012) to be crowned Miss Universe.
- R’Bonney’s hobbies include hiking, hula hooping, sewing and reading.
How did R’Bonney Gabriel win the Miss Universe 2022 crown?
All 84 women gave their best in the Miss Universe 2022 pageant, showcasing their beauty and brains. However, only one was to go home with the coveted crown. In the end, American R’Bonney Gabriel, Venezuelan Amanda Dudamel and Andreína Martínez from the Dominican Republic made it to the top 3.
R’Bonney Gabriel’s answer to the question: “If you win Miss Universe, how will you work to prove that this is an empowering and progressive organization?” is what crowned her the 71st Miss Universe. Here is what Gabriel said.
“Well, I would use it to be a transformational leader. As a very passionate designer (who) has been sewing for 13 years, I use fashion as a force for good. In my field, I reduce pollution by using recycled materials when I make my clothes. I teach sewing classes for women, survivors of human trafficking and domestic violence. And I say that because it’s so important to invest in others, to invest in our community, and to use our unique talents to make We all have something special, and when we plant those seeds (in) other people in our lives , we will transform them and use it as a means of change.”